The next time you go to an art museum, see how many paintings you can see of scenes from the Bible. Bible scenes and saints were very popular paintings in the Medieval ages and often hung in cathedrals.
One popular subject was the Presentation of Our Lord.
This painting by Ambrogio Loronzetti was signed and dated 1342. It’s a very elaborate painting.
Let’s see how many of these symbols you can find.
· Mary holding Baby Jesus’ swaddling cloth.
· Anna with Scripture from St. Luke.
· Two Turtle doves
· The priest preparing to make a sacrifice.
· Moses with the Ten Commandments
· Joshua with the sun in his hands are statues in this magnificent piece.